Thursday, December 20, 2007

4 - 20th - The Old Lady

Originally clicked and uploaded by - Pratosh Dwivedi - 20th Dec'07


I see this lady daily. Daily, when I go for lunch, just outside my office. Every 10 mins she gets up from those cold steel railings and wanders around the temporary food shops set up all around the place. She accepts everything, from meager amounts of money to a can of soda or even left over food. Everyday she comes to me too, saying something in Spanish, which I don't understand. What I do understand is the pain in her voice and the suffering so prominently etched on her face.

I cant really explain how I feel, posting this picture on my blog. On one hand I feel I am "using" her suffering as a subject to add just another post, while on the other hand I cant stop myself from doing that because she makes me realize some hard realities of life, which help me keep my feet on the ground .

I never give alms, but today I did, maybe to return the favor to her. The favor of giving this blog its first really meaningful post.

Click here to see the full sized image

2 comments:

sourav said...

man i must say tht this is one of the best post i ever saw.....u have a done really gr8 job...she was looking so cute...just wana say tht keep posting these kinds of blog

Anonymous said...

We value our life when we see people like this...
Its not because we have something which, they don’t have; at least we are having enough to afford them. You said you never give alms to anyone – you can give it to these people who really need it.

And have to say about the picture... says the whole story you wrote...:)